I was sort of planning on sitting down and having a good
long conversation with my computer, replaying basically each week I was on the
road and sharing all the funny stories or strange encounters I had. Then I realized that would probably take,
well not sure exactly how long, but too long to write, then no one would want
to sit there and read a novel about my life.
So in lieu of a play by play I’m just gonna update you on the
highlights, and now that I’ve decided to resubmerge myself in this blog writing
thing I can write silly stories to share with you in the future.
Man, I left off after my first Grand Prix, last year! Yikes,
so I was pretty stoked I had made it back into the GP ring and gained a
confidence that I had made the right decision leaving my job and home to make a
go of this thing.
After Katy, my horses
and I spent the off weeks with Christian Rogge and Shannon Slyfield at their
beautiful barn.
I got to ride some
awesome horses there and got a few valuable lessons. Not only did I become good friends with these
two but also all the wonderful people at their barn. I had come up with several different plans as
to where I wanted to travel to next and kept changing my mind, but finally
decided my next destination would be Canada.
By this point I was more than ready to get out of Texas, when I was
loading my trailer early in the morning I looked down at one point and realized
I was drenched in sweat and that I was leaving at just the right time! Since I had a lot of paperwork that needed
done to get into Canada, I went home to Rock Springs for a couple weeks to get
everything in order and repack my trailer.
I was really nervous about making sure I had all the right things in
line and that I wasn’t going to drive all the way up to the border to get sent
back because I was missing something.
Turns out I was more than prepared and was able to make it there without
any hitches and a pretty easy drive.
However, I did get a ticket after being in the country for less than an
hour! Funny story, I’d be happy to tell
you about it, just not here.
RMSJ was a beautiful facility, and everyone there was super
welcoming and accommodating and happy to help me out. The very first class I did was the Open
Welcome and Gap was super and we ended up 3rd.
Fly Away performed great and was doing the 1.15m Jr/Am and the 1.20m
young jumper classes and marched right out onto the big grand prix field and
jumped around like it was no big deal.
Raphael did a few classes and was awesome in the mini nation’s cup, but
then he got to go out in the huge pasture with grass up past his knees for the
rest of our time in Calgary.
Then Gap
and I were getting ready for the CSI classes.
The paperwork to get into Canada was a breeze compared to the hoops I
had to jump through to get my FEI membership and the right paperwork and
signatures and such for Gap’s passport.
Finally got it all in my hands in the knick of time before the first GP. Gap was such a superstar and put in some
awesome efforts in those big classes, I couldn’t have been happier with
him.
Due to some issues with my truck,
again funny story that I’d be happy to tell later on, I ended up having the
opportunity to stay and compete at Spruce Meadows for the Masters.
(Yes, it was going to end up being over $7000, however after a second opinion I left only needing an oil change!)
I’m so glad I did it, it was an absolute
blast and again Gap was super, but it was really expensive and I even had many
people tell me even if you win every class it’s hard to leave without still
owing the office money. I would
definitely return for the RMSJ shows, but I would have to consider Spruce more
seriously. Once again, I was sad to be
leaving but the weather was starting to turn and I was glad to be getting out
at the time I did.
When I make a pit stop, I get driving food and my horse's get the healthy snacks!This part of the drive made me pretty nervous :/
Oh ya, we added power to my trailer before I left for Canada so I had a back up place to sleep and a little piece of home with me while I was there. Also, the back of the trailer makes a great laundry room!
I returned to Rock Springs, this time to pack the rest of my
things and put them on a moving trailer to Texas.
Loaded up the horses, including the minis and
set off towards Tucson.
Got there a
little early, as is my trend I wanted to avoid the bad weather in Wyoming so I
headed south before fall/winter weather had a chance to sneak up on me. Tucson was a good show, great management, fun
times had by all, Gap and I did (and won) the Equitation Classic on Thursday and
then put in a stellar round in the Grand Prix on Sunday, I love my horse and
his willingness and versatility :D
Eq braids :)
Fly
away won the 1.10m classic and was champion in the division. From here I had planned on returning to Texas
where my personal belongings, broodmare and two young horses were. However, I spent quite a bit of time with an
old friend who actually is from Texas and loves it there, but decided he was
going to go out to Southern California.
I have always loved the area and thought it would be amazing to live
there but figured I couldn’t afford it so never seriously considered it. After talking with him I started looking for
some places and found what I thought was going to be the perfect
situation.
After Tucson I took my stuff and small herd of horses to
Lake Elsinore. The drive was actually
kind of sketchy and I got in late and in the dark, and once more a story I’d be
happy to share but not here. The point
is I had to leave and find something else, rather quickly. I ended up finding a lovely barn, but couldn’t
find a place for me, and my dogs anywhere near the barn for less than $2000 a
month, so I ended up with a friend who was thirty minutes away with no
traffic. I was burning through fuel and
couldn’t go to the barn twice a day like I prefer and it just wasn’t working
out. I started searching pretty much all
the barns with websites in socal looking for a place that had barn stalls,
paddocks and pasture spaces to accommodate the needs of all my horses.
I finally ended up finding a place that not only could fit the bill but the owners also had a rental property that had just opened up that is about four minutes away from the barn. So that is where I am now, I have citrus trees and avocados in my back yard, Raphael and the minis in the front, I’m away from the city so there’s peace and quiet and a beautiful blanket of stars to enjoy at night, and I’m only about 30 minutes from the beach!
I finally ended up finding a place that not only could fit the bill but the owners also had a rental property that had just opened up that is about four minutes away from the barn. So that is where I am now, I have citrus trees and avocados in my back yard, Raphael and the minis in the front, I’m away from the city so there’s peace and quiet and a beautiful blanket of stars to enjoy at night, and I’m only about 30 minutes from the beach!
My two black horses are getting back into
shape for showing, the first few months I was here put me behind in training
due to all the instability. My young
horses are growing into beautiful, kind creatures and I couldn’t be more
excited to see what they’re going to turn in to. Put a saddle on Royal the other day and it
didn’t faze him in the least. Momma
dropped quite a bit of weight in the move, but she’s looking tons better now
and the vet saw her recently and said she’s ready to get bred, I’m very anxious
about the newest baby on that will be on the way. It is fun and peaceful to have the boys at my
home and see them out my window.
Heading to the barn now to ride, it’s a beautiful day and I’m
stoked I get to spend it with all of my magnificent beasts!






























No comments:
Post a Comment